Written by Jessica Chaffins
Finally, for real this time!! Yes, really, I have finally reached the end!! Spring cleaning of my excess DIY “treasures” has come to a close. Grant it MAY be due to sheer frustration that it is over, but nonetheless it is over. I have to admit I am rather pleased with how much I was actually able to do. Sometimes for me, it takes sitting back and just scooping out what I do have without an idea already planted in my mind of what I want to do. Knocked out some of my wine bottles, leftover tile, bottle caps, shutters and cabinet doors (that just happened to be buried under said treasures) go ahead and check those out if ya missed it. I’ll wait here. Hehe.
Well lets get to it….my last bit is just using up these two windows I had sitting in the garage and shed. Need to get these going so we don’t have busted glass under little feet from any accidents that may happen.
Happy to say that both of these projects took hardly anytime for me to complete. My oldest window that has been tucked away in the shed came off of a very old house that was set to be demoed. I love the old smell in the wood and wonderful patina all over it, but it is pretty fragile. So I decided I didn’t want to have this one outside, even though it has had its fair share of environmental exposure. I felt much better to have it inside where everyone could enjoy its old charm. But first I needed to give it a little TLC. As you can see in the pics below….all the old window glaze/caulk has dried up and was falling off. So I wanted to remove all of that first, using a small putty knife to scrap it off. Luckily it popped off really easy, so I didn’t need to use hardly any force at all.
Now to just clean off all this dust and residue from the glass. I am going to re-seal it, since the glass shifts around a little more than I am comfortable with. The small metal pieces in the wood (sorry do not know the technical name of these little suckers) are holding ok, but I would feel a lot better with some extra support. Don’t need any glass slipping out and falling on someone….talk about bad mojo!!
Well now that this is all cleaned up, I went ahead and taped the perimeter of glass. This way I can have nice clean edge after I glaze/caulk it. Since it was not going to be outside or exposed to any water, I just used an all-purpose silicone to seal for the edges. It will do just fine on the window. While silicone is still wet, I slowly pulled off the tape, doing it carefully not to scrap a chunk of silicone with it. Now to just leave it overnight to make it sure it dries and cures, bad part for us, it will take a while. Silicone caulk takes a bit longer to dry in a humid climate, hmmm go figure. Once all that was done, I just attached a pair of some basic sawtooth hangers that Jeff had laying around in the garage. Made sure I predrilled this time…would be soooo disappointed if I split this wood!
Yay, time to hang it up!
Yes, yes I think I like it. Decided to add a simple grape vine wreath to give it a bit of dimension. Just stringed that up with a bit of fishing line and a small nail in the back side of the window. I like the simplicity of it. I have sooo many other things going on in our living room, this didn’t need much to get attention. To be honest I am more pleased that I was able to put something more welcoming on the wall. Gazing at a big, blank, green piece of wall isn’t that welcoming to me.
Now on to my second window. This was even more simple but a bit nerve racking for me at the end. With help from my cuz Renee and her business Dandelion Decals, I was able to conquer this project in no time at all!! This window is in a much better condition, plus it was repainted shortly before it’s removal from the house. Works for me!! So with it already painted with exterior paint, I just needed to clean off the window before I started my task.
Renee was awesome enough to create me some colored letters using her outdoor vinyl. I needed to make sure these suckers held up in the weather. Now with her help, we quickly knocked out the application of these letters. To see how we applied you can check out her application methods on her website. You can check out some of her other awesome decals while you’re there!!!
AHHHHH!!!! I. AM. LOVIN’. THIS!!! I can’t help but squeal like a kid!!!
Now all I have to do is attach my hanging hardware and we will be finished! Since Jeff doesn’t want me drilling holes in the siding, I had to shop around a bit to find some no hole hanging hardware for vinyl siding. I found this pack on Amazon and they were fairly cheap…less than $10.00 for a 6-pack. For this hang properly, I needed to use picture wire and d-rings. Each hook was only rated to hold 5 pounds and I was going to be using 3 just to be cautious. I also looked around online and found tons of videos on great ways to “tie” the picture hanging wire so it would not slip overtime. This whole process has taken me about 30 minutes from beginning to end!!!
Ok…now this is where it gets nerve-racking for me!!! I will admit, I was VERY (and I mean VERY) skeptical about these little plastic hooks for the siding!! I didn’t want these hang this window to have it come crashing down. I would cry like big blubbering baby!!! But to my surprise they hold VERY well. When the weight pulls down, they kinda lock in place, grabbing the siding from behind. Phew….I feel better!!
I am soooo pleased with this window. It is the perfect addition to our patio area. We have slowly been sprucing it up out here and this just fits us perfect!!! Outdoors is where our fun stuff happens 🙂
We hope that you saw something here today to help you during your own crafting & life adventures. We encourage our readers to share their own projects in the comments as we absolutely LOVE seeing what others were inspired to create. We also kindly ask that comments be polite or constructive.